first Carmel in the United States was established
in 1790 by daughters of American settlers and one
Englishwoman. The first community of religious women
in the new nation, they came from a Carmel in Belgium
and settled in Maryland. The community they founded
continues to this day as the Carmel of Baltimore.
In 1863 the Maryland community made a foundation
in St. Louis, and in 1923 six Sisters from the St.
Louis Carmel came to Cleveland.
first monastery in Cleveland was an ordinary home
which the Sisters adapted to their needs. In subsequent
years the growing community moved into two more
homes, until they were finally able to plan and
build a true monastery. With great joy in 1962 the
community entered the "Promised Land." Located in
an area of great natural beauty on Cleveland's east
side, the monastery occupies five acres of land
and includes a spacious yard and large vegetable
garden. Major renovation of the chapel was done
in 1992 to bring the worshipping environment into
harmony with the liturgical reforms of Vatican II.
1951 the community responded to an invitation to
send members to strengthen the Carmel in Nairobi,
Kenya. Six Sisters made the journey to Africa, and
today the Nairobi Carmel flourishes, enriched by
African vocations. In 1952 four Cleveland Sisters
founded the first English-speaking Carmel in Canada
at Kitchener, Ontario. That community later moved
to St. Agatha, Ontario.
Carmel observed its seventy-fifth anniversary in
1998. It was a year of celebration and thanksgiving
to God for the sisters who went before us and for
the many friends and benefactors who have made Carmelite
contemplative life a reality in Cleveland.